Sunday 30 January 2011

Protestweets: Student Protests on the 29th January

As I said in my last blog entry, I wanted to be at the Manchester Protest so badly. Many who were there have sent messages to me. Since I really love Twitter, I followed it religiously on the day of protests, looking at some from Manchester and some from London. My interest was awakened when I found that my last tweet advertising my latest blog entry, had been retweeted by ‘belledejour’ the Twitter name of Dr Brooke Magnanti, to whom I am most grateful. InTwitterland, I am ‘Peckitt’ and our story in Twitterland starts with:



belledejour_uk RT @Peckitt On Coming Student rally in Manchester http://bit.ly/fjiFH9 about 8 hours ago via web

Please remember that the carbon copy of twitter messages was taken at 19:30 – 20:00 on the 20th of January. It was very kind of belledejour_uk to retweet this, and I am in her debt. It continues:

EdinUniAntiCuts Manchester walking north - loads of police - reaching uni - seen one arrest (red coat male) about 6 hours ago via TweetDeck

EdinUniAntiCuts were in Manchester and will feature highly in this blog entry, they really blogged well.

Then:

thespyglass I'm with a small group who've avoided the Deansgate kettle. Deansgate kettle reportedly being moved somewhere else. #demo2011 #dayx about 4 hours ago via Socially Mobile

thespyglass was also in Manchester and has posts, which at times, are very humourous. For example after being ‘kettled’ into a pub:

sukeyData BREAKING NEWS: Manchester police have kettled students IN A PUB. Since when do police enforce lock ins? #sukey #demo2011 #irony about 3 hours ago via web

thespyglass In the pub. Sorry, kettled people. If it makes you feel any better the bouncer's having a go at us for Millbank last yr. #demo2011 #dayx about 3 hours ago via Socially Mobile


There were some worrying posts:

kaygeeuk Manchester kettle released given a Section 12 warning not to gather for 24 hours. Guess that's aimed at tomorrows @ukuncut actions about 3 hours ago via web

EdinUniAntiCuts Kettle now fully dispersed - sections 12, 50 And 60 used #mancdemo about 3 hours ago via TweetDeck

However, all was not well, in the state of Manchester as Aaron Porter was virtually given trial by rough music. It was reported at one point that anti-Semitic chants were shouting at him referring to him as a ‘Jew’ or ‘Tory Jew’. I hope and believe that it was a miss heard statement (and tweets since them seem to confirm my hopes), as the followings tweets testify to:

SophiaCR I heard and remember all the chants directed at Aaron Porter. None were anti-semitic. #demo2011 about 2 hours ago via Dabr

EdinUniAntiCuts Reports #Manchester chanting 'you're a Tory jew' to Aaron Porter today - Not true - actual chant was 'You're a Tory too' #demo2011 #dayx 12 minutes ago via TweetDeck

Now, I am going to be a bit paternalistic again. I can appreciate the student’s dissatisfaction with Mr. Aaron Porter. However, what they may be unaware of is the politics of 1997 – 98 – my own time as an undergraduate, around the time tuition fees were first introduced. At that time, the NUS, in my opinion, was essentially an arm of New Labour. They did have demonstrations, but too late. However, this generation has a chance to change things, but it will not do so by shooting themselves in the foot, which is what they are doing by attacking Aaron Porter. I do not believe for a moment that anyone mentioned ‘Jewishness’, but the fact that someone thought so speaks volumes, whether it was misheard or wishful thinking. If HE students have truly lost faith in Mr.Porter than he should go, but there better ways to achieve this than shouting him off the stage – he was after all unable to speak.

However, the students of this day are heroes to me, they are doing now what my university generation never did.



Finally the demonstration both in Manchester and London ended with:

littlemisswilde any plans for a post-protest party/drinks anywhere? #sukey #demo2011 #solidarity #alcoholism #gin about 2 hours ago via web

SophiaCR I heard and remember all the chants directed at Aaron Porter. None were anti-semitic. #demo2011 about 2 hours ago via Dabr

B3nB3ach Swarm shuts a Boots singing "We are the Tax Enforcement Society" Demo2011 #Solidarity about 1 hour ago via Twitter for iPhone

alphabetofbeing Group now very small. about 1 hour ago via ƜberTwitter

Peckitt Finally...positive footage of manchester march on C4 40 minutes ago via Twitter for BlackBerry®



I wish all the students good luck and once again thank belledejour_uk at:

http://belledejour-uk.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment