Thursday 16 December 2010

Hull Occupation

A few days ago, I was asked by someone at the University of Hull whether there actually was an occupation in Staff House.  We could all see the signs and placards, but I did not know for certain whether there actually was ‘an occupation’.   So I decided to find out.
Finally, I found a student who was in the know, or at least, knew more than I did.  He told me that they were occupying floor two of staff house, and apparently they chose this venue because it is the least disruptive to the students.  He said that the University Management, whilst may not entirely in agreement  with the student ‘sit in’ (does using that phrase show my age?) had made allowances for them to occupy that part of building, for example allowing 24 hour access to the building.
He asked if I wanted to visit the occupation, taking photographs if I want, and the video below is what produced.
I entered Staff House, with my pitiful gift of bottled water, walked up to the 2nd Floor and entered the double doors.  The last time I was here I was debating phenomenology.   The first thing I noticed was just how alive the room was, and how civilised.  People were reading, talking and keen to talk to me.  They were not afraid of the cameras,  I chose to not photograph them.    And I really can over-emphasise just how alive it was, everyone rushing around talking about this or that, far me honest and true than any debate I had taken part in.
I do not know how it will all end, but I wish the students well.

No comments:

Post a Comment